Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Running 2 Reunite

This time of year is when I push myself to do something hard, and sometimes painful, by running a half marathon to raise money for the families we help at Bridges To America.

Despite only being able to train for the last two months after hernia repair surgery in May I am going for it this Saturday at the Park City Half Marathon. (Did I mention we moved to Park City in April? Well, we did and we love it!)

My "Build Bridges" shoes
I am calling my effort Running2Reunite and the goal is to raise $3,000 to buy one-way plane tickets for a father, son, and two daughters from Sudan currently stuck in Uganda and separated from the mother and daughter, who have legally been in the USA for the past five years so that the daughter could undergo multiple surgeries (ongoing) to repair a severe cleft palate.

I came across their story here this past weekend and am delighted to tell you that yesterday I spoke with the wonderful woman who has helped this family so far and I committed Bridges To America to provide the remaining $3,000 necessary to cover the airfare and end this family's long separation once and for all.

The point of this run Saturday is to earn your support and donations so that I can make good on my commitment. In my work with Africa I have learned that nearly everything there is hard and there is so much pain and suffering that could be alleviated with such little action on our part. So, running 13.1 miles is my way of sharing a little pain (hopefully not too much suffering!) with the African people we help today and those we hope to help soon. We can only do this with your support.

I will not be setting any personal bests at this race (recent surgery and PC altitude) but I hope you will set a personal best by donating as much as you can to help us get this family back together. I will be thinking of this family and their certain joy as they see each other soon for the first time in five long years. That way I can fight through the pain and smile on Saturday. I hope you will join me.

Click here to donate and click here to share. Please do at least one!

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment