Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Current Project--Christmas in Ghana

http://www.razoo.com/story/Save-A-Thon-For-Africa

On my last trip to Ghana in March I met a wonderful young boy in one of the many villages we visited. Our team members were more prepared than I in bringing gifts to distribute to the children there.  We had a few soccer balls to give out but this young boy, Borges, was a little too young and perhaps too polite to get one as the older kids jockeyed for position to get a ball.  After missing out on getting a new ball he politely approached me and asked if I would give him a soccer ball.  I didn't have any to give.  But there was something about the goodness in his face that made me promise him that I would come back and bring soccer balls for him and all the children in the village.  I really had no idea what I was saying at the time and didn't realize how much effort it would take to keep that promise.


Well a promise is a promise and my 12 year-old soccer player, Kylie, has helped me keep it.  Through her efforts as a goalie this year she has been raising money to help fund this trip and help these children.  She has raised $1,500 so far and these funds will be used to distribute over 100 soccer balls, school supplies for the girls, and a Christmas meal for all the children in two poor villages a few hours out of Accra, Ghana.

We need to raise another $4,000 or so to cover the airfare for Kylie and her older sister, Marissa.  I will be covering the other logistical expenses as best I can.

Will you please visit our fundraising website here and do what you can to support?  In Africa it takes so little to do so much.

Stay tuned for more updates as we move along this exciting journey to create a memorable and life-changing experience for all involved.

http://www.razoo.com/story/Save-A-Thon-For-Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment