Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Jitters

I have to be honest, I have the jitters.  We leave in less than 48 hours for Washington DC then on to Accra, Ghana Thursday night on the red-eye to start this life-changing trip and I am nervous. 

I am not nervous about my personal safety--though I will be alert and careful.
I am not nervous about the flights--I love flying and have traveled internationally many times.
I am not nervous about meeting new people and being in a foreign land--I love the stimulation and different perspective of being in a foreign country with people living totally different lives than I do.


I think I have the jitters because I realize that I am leaving the USA as a man with a certain set of ideals, principles, and views of the world--I think I know a lot more than I really do.  But as my departure draws nearer I am starting to sense that because of what I will see and experience there I will be coming back a changed man, humbled by my ignorance of and attention to things that matter most.  And I wonder if I will have the courage to embrace this new knowledge and awareness and step up my game in how I think, act, and live. 

Also, I think I am nervous that my going there won't make an impact--even though my gut tells me that it will.  I get to go to Africa for the first time only once (after that I will be experienced) and I want very badly to make the most of this experience as I contribute scarce time and capital to something bigger than myself.  Many of you who donated or didn't donate felt that your contribution wouldn't help much but I am here to tell you (and myself) that one thing I know for sure is that Africa is a place where a little goes a long way AND is appreciated.  So, along with your support, I am putting forth what little I can do and look forward to sharing the results.

Lastly, I have always told my kids in their sporting events to embrace their nervousness as a tool that keeps you on your toes in the moment of truth.  I also realized that is the kindling that makes the feelings of triumph when it's over that much warmer and brighter.  I choose to look at my current feelings in this way and take my own medicine (along with my malaria pills) and hope that what I have been telling my kids all along will be true for me too.

Here goes something...

No comments:

Post a Comment